California Health Officials issue Advisory after Increasing Numbers of Norovirus Cases

California Health Officials issue Advisory after Increasing Numbers of Norovirus Cases

Norovirus is not at all a new thing for people in California, the state since October has seen almost 32 outbreaks of norovirus. Recently after seeing the increasing number of cases linked to the outbreak, health officials have issued an advisory.

As per experts, norovirus is a highly infectious virus that causes gastroenteritis, an illness that has symptoms like nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

The symptoms of the infection starts showing up in a person almost after 12 to 48 hours after the person has been exposed to the virus.

The California Department of Public Health last week said that the rate of norovirus outbreak in California has been quite high which has resulted in sickening several hundreds and people all over the state.

The department officials further said that this year’s cases are far higher than the number of cases in the previous year. Marin County Public Health Officer Dr. Matt Willis said in a statement that almost 32 outbreaks over that period occurred in Marin.

“That's more likely a reflection of our vigilance around detection and reporting than in more activity. We typically see 15 to 20 norovirus outbreaks in Marin County every year, and they generally cluster in the winter months”, said Willis.

Officials said so far in this month, two outbreaks have been reported in Marin. A kid at the Novato Youth Center started showing the symptoms of the disease on December 15.

The venues at that are under high risk of norovirus outbreaks are child care centers, assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities, restaurants and holiday parties, Willis said.

Category: 

Local: 

Zircon - This is a contributing Drupal Theme
Design by WeebPal.